The Family

The   Family
Our Re-do Weddig

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Latest Book... The Graveyard Book

So my wonderfully patient friend Cara lent me one of her few hard copy books (she a Kindle-er)... she uses bookmarks and must turn pages so carefully because it is immaculate.  Me on the other hand, my books are well-loved and their many creases and captions advertise that I have had a full relationship with them.  So I am attempting to maintain the perfection that is The Graveyard Book, without much success, and finding the same conclusion that always happens when I borrow a book (from friends or a library)- I will end up buying the book just so I can read it "my way."  Anyway...

So this book is darkly, Gothic but lovingly sweet... If you can get past the gruesome first chapter.  The rest, so far, is sweet.  I love the different visions of parenting through the ages.  The perspective of a nocturnal childhood and the simplicity of life without fear of death... I just read a section where he was confronted with danger and mortality... and his response was a complete lack concern because he lives with ghosts and life is just a long, unending stretch of existence in which death is just a hiccup in time.  I love this nonchalance...

Any feedback?  What d'ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment